The PATA Foundation has concentrated its activities in four main areas which it defines as follows:
- Education. The improvement of the professionalism of travel industry personnel and of others working in related fields. The education of visitors, host communities and travel industry staff in respect to the environment and cultural heritage is also included.
- Cultural Heritage. Conservation of the man-made setting in which tourism takes place or upon which it is dependent including heritage sites, buildings, cultural attractions, historic towns and villages and the relationship with host communities.
- Sustainable Tourism. Tourism that is attempting to make as low an impact on the environment and local culture as possible, while helping to generate future employment for local people.
- Environment. The protection of the natural setting in which tourism takes place including the landscape, plant and animal life, coastal zones, pollution and parks at national or lesser levels.
When making a donation to the PATA Foundation, donors will be:
- Contributing to a cause in which they believe.
- Supporting activities that will benefit them directly in a commercial or other manner.
- Recognised throughout the Asia Pacific travel and tourism industry for the contribution they are making.
By donating, donors can:
- Contribute to the protection of the environment of the Asia Pacific area.
- Help to save the rainforest from destruction, the shorelines from pollution or endangered species of wildlife from extinction.
- Support the conservation of the cultures of the area, the arts and the crafts.
- Contribute to the restoration of historic buildings or the interpretation and conservation of heritage sites.
- Assist students from less affluent communities to participate in education programmes.
- Help the development of environmental and cultural education among the residents of host communities, visitors and guides.
- Aid destinations that have been hit by disaster
- Assist countries or communities in which they have a particular interest.
Sustainable tourism is tourism attempting to make as low an impact on the environment and local culture as possible, while helping to generate future employment for local people.